Wednesday, May 6, 2009

sleepsleepsleep.

The past couple of weeks I've been going into nightowl extreme. 
I rarely get some shuteye before 3am and I'm kinda liking it. You get to hear the birds
chirping and the romantic sounds of the inebriated Polish men screaming at the dead of night. 

I have been able to get some more research in on Vietnam. 
On average about 30 people die everyday crossing the streets of Ho Chi Minh, according to Frommer's. 
Hmm....
Journeywoman.com shares the tales of women who have traveled alone and can hook me up with a 'mentor' in the city I will be visiting who could give me tips on what to do, what to avoid, etc. So one lady who visited Ho Chi Minh describes advice given to her at the hotel she was staying "What my hotel concierge told me is that, 'when it feels right you step out into the traffic and you keep walking'. Then he added, 'try not to step out in front of a bus that can't stop easily but don't worry, the scooter drivers will try at all costs not to hit you. The most important thing to remember is that once you get on to the road you can't stop half way; you must keep moving because that's what the drivers expect and they guide themselves accordingly.’"

At times I've thought about how crazy this idea was, thinking I would make it through in a country whose language is composed of six different tones. So depending on which tone is used "ma" can mean ghost, mother, which, tomb, horse, or rice seedling. 

I'm cheating. I'm expanding on other people's words, chewing them up to be inspired and create my own.  Let's do one more from Tuesdays with Morrie
"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they’re busy doing things they think are important. This is because they’re chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

Here's my dilemma. I feel like I live a life full of meaning and I am happy doing the things I do. The problem is I have let my academic career rot. It's bad. This is a conversation I have had with several people, Pedro comes to mind, mostly because we find ourselves in the same shithole constantly when it comes to juggling good/fun/productive/meaningful work and academic work. Some advice he shared, imparted to him by N. Tuchman, was that Loyola does a great job of sparking a passion or curiosity in our community and makes it easy for us to be involved. At the same time we have to focus on our studies and in an attempt to get both done well end up doing a shitty job at both.  

Last night I lost all my contacts on my phone while I was playing around with it. My uncle gave it to me, it's a fancy touch phone and at first sight I knew it was bad news. It feels great though, to start with a blank slate..at first I was freaking out. But as I told the kid the other day "you have my number, if you want to call me then go ahead." Yet this still did not prevent me from creating another of those ridiculous fb groups entitled "I lost my phone contacts." There are lots of people out there I love and would want to stay in touch with even if they don't want to call me, having their number and that option is always a great thing. 

Although, from May 10-August 10 I will be free of my cellphone. No more text messages, voice mail, phone calls interrupting good times. You will not be able to call me asking me of my whereabouts. Ah. Can you imagine it? I am absolutely tickled. 

5 more days til Guatemala

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment